Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Firestone Walker Double Jack

Because this blog is about drinking, not just drinking wine, I thought it was time to turn to something a little different, so tonight I've got a 22 oz. bottle of Double Jack, a double IPA from Firestone Walker in Paso Robles. I got it at BevMo for $7.69.

You guys. This beer is seriously delicious. I was talking with a friend the other day about our favorite IPAs (Brew Free or Die, Blind Pig, Lagunitas, Racer 5...), and she said this one is hers. I've been to the brewery before and I may have tried it as part of a sampler, I don't recall, but my beer palate has expanded considerably since then at any rate. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have been able to get past the hops here, but now, I think it's great.

There's about a half inch of foam that mostly dissipated by the time I actually took a sip. The nose is the usual piney IPA with floral notes and something citrusy in there that's hard to put my finger on. But the taste, oh, the taste. That citrus comes out with big grapefruit notes, the pine is well integrated, lots of bitterness from the hops, and then a little maltiness in the background. It's not sweet at all, but it's very smooth. 

It goes down ridiculously easy which is kind of dangerous at 9.5% alcohol. Often when I drink a beer that strong, the first sip makes me think "Whoa Nellie!" but not this one. It just makes me think "MOAR!" Is it my favorite IPA?  I'm not sure. I'd have to taste them side by side to really say, but this is very good stuff. This is probably the best double IPA I've had.

2 hours later.....

Drink this beer while it's still cold. At room temperature the balance is off a bit, it has lost some richness in the mouth-feel, and you can taste the alcohol more. Note to self: drink faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment