Saturday, May 11, 2013

Kona Koko Brown

I have a weakness for all things Hawaiian. I've been to Hawaii several times and it's one of my favorite places. I love the beaches, the lush tropical landscape, the craggy hills of Kauai and the enormous mountains of Maui and the Big Island... there's just so much to enjoy. They also have some pretty good beer.

Koko Brown is the spring seasonal from Kona Brewing Co.  There are some others you can get year-round like Longboard Lager, but this one I've seen in stores from March-June. Since it's a brown ale, it's got some sweetness from the malt, but it's got even more sweetness from toasted coconut that they add to it to give it some special Hawaiian flavor. It reminds me of Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar. They're both sweet, creamy, and nutty. I like to enjoy each sip, and one bottle is usually plenty. I've had this 6-pack for about a month, and I have to be in the mood for it to open one. Liquid Aloha, they say.

If you ever watch Hawaii 5-0 you'll see people drinking Kona beer all the time, usually Longboard. I don't know if it's a paid promotion or if they're just using a local product. It's not really in your face, but the labels are distinctive. Poor Maui Brewing Co. gets no love (but I like Kona better too).

Kona Brewing has brewpubs on the Big Island and Oahu, and if you're ever in the neighborhood, go visit. The pizza and sandwiches are good, and they have a big selection of beer on tap that they don't bottle. In Kona the place is away from the ocean in a warehouse area, but in Hawaii Kai (east of Honolulu) it's right by the harbor with some nice views.

No comments:

Post a Comment